This TravelSmart to School site provides the opportunity to exchange ideas & promote successes of using healthier, safer and more sustainable ways to get to school. It is the main portal to the Western Australian Department of Transport’s TravelSmart to School program.
The aim of the program is to increase the number of students walking, cycling and using public transport to travel to school. This website was developed to assist parents, teachers, local governments and students find solutions to the problems of parking congestion, road safety and insufficient levels of physical activity by providing ideas and easy to follow examples.
Participating Western Australian primary schools have access to:
- An online community (this site) of people on similar journeys sharing about what’s working for them
- Easy to follow ‘How To’ activity guides
- Regular competitions with access to student prize packs for every school
- Professional development teachers’ workshops and networking opportunities (see the ‘events’ tab)
- Visual reports on your school’s progress (if you choose to collect travel data)
- Resources for loan, including banners, badge machine, timed walkzone signs (see ‘loan resources’ under ‘links & resources’ tab)
- Opportunities for student TravelSmart teams to showcase their work
- Blog of the month prizes
- eNewsletters advising the latest opportunities and school campaign news